Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Perfect Trio

After going on about my mother's ability to make fantastic salads, it only seems appropriate that I leave you with one more of her recipes before I, myself, leave.

This is one of my favorites (even receiving a "for Lael" tag in the family cookbook) because I love the combination of cheese and fruit and this salad consists of just that, as well as my favorite leafy green: spinach. It is a perfect trio. Instead of a strong cheese, like feta or gorgonzola, and sugary berry, this salad creates a more mellow flavor. The ingredients are simple, and the dressing is very fragrant, and I crave it year round. But now that late summer has rushed upon us, ripe red grapes are in abundance, and I've been watching our fridge slowly fill with all the necessary ingredients for one reason or another over the past week. Today all we needed was a fresh bag of spinach.

I got my spinach this evening and shared a bowl of salad with my mom for dinner. We were pressed for time, but I had no problem whipping this combination up, even considering the time taken to step outside onto the back deck and get some decent shots.

So, with a bit of sentimentality, I am passing on a recipe that is very dear to me. I request it every time I come home, and I long for it when I can't bring myself to spend money on two cheeses at once while at school (or when I'm standing in front of the cheese section in Abilene, and wondering how on earth they have the nerve not to carry fresh mozzarella--did I mention how unexcited I am to go back to Abilene's grocery stores?).

On a happier note, let's all dine on bowls of fresh mozzarella, grapes, and spinach while we can and at least savor what we're given (I know I'll be using up the leftover dressing for tomorrow's lunch).


Mom's Italian Salad

Fill a salad bowl with spinach.

Add:
Diced Mozzarella (preferably fresh)
Red Grapes, halved
Minced Red Onion

Dressing:
2/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 Tablespoon Parmesan
1 1/2 teaspoons basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil)
1 clove garlic, minced
Dash of salt and pepper

Drizzle dressing over salad mixture and toss.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As always, mouthwatering deliciousness!