Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Happy Compromise

Being that today is Saturday, I took full advantage of the fact that I had nowhere in particular to be until I was good and ready to wake up and start my day. Ah, such a wonderful feeling.

I woke up just after ten, and by the time I got around to eating, it was going on noon. I hate to give up my breakfast food because I love the excuse of eating something sweet first thing in the morning...nothing insanely sweet but plenty of fruit and toast with peanut butter always hit the spot (okay, toast and peanut butter are not necessarily sweet but still oh so good).

So, the grapefruit I had on hand was insistently calling my name, but so was the haunting voice of the arugula in my fridge, only willing to stay green and crisp for a little longer. That's when I remembered a delicious grapefruit salad recipe my mom had emailed to me several months ago. It was the perfect combination of both items.

That is about all I have for you today. It is another late night and tomorrow is a full day, so I present you with a salad you really must try and then wish you a good night.

Gingery Grapefruit Salad

salad components:
Baby Spinach*
Grapefruit Segments
Sliced Almonds, toasted

dressing:
3 Tbs. grapefruit juice (squeeze grapefruit juice from the grapefruit halves after removing sections for salad.)
3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
drizzle of agave nectar
salt to taste

Arrange spinach, grapefruit, and almonds in individual bowl(s). Combine dressing separately and pour over salad.

*Yes, I did talk about arugula at the top of this post and it worked just fine, but thinking back on the first time I made this, I do think spinach would be more appropriate. It's flavor is more subtle, and this dressing tastes so good that you don't want to overpower it.

Also, I added diced avocado to this salad the first time around, and it worked wonderfully. Try it!

5 comments:

wcs said...

Lael, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I love your food photos (and have a embarrassing suspicion I've visited your blog once before). I'm looking forward to divining into the archives!

Lael Meidal said...

wcs: Thanks for the compliments. And sorry there is not better organization to my archives...I intended on making a recipe index a couple months into the blog if I was still keeping it up, but that time has gotten away from me. One Hungry Soul's one year anniversary is coming up, so I better get on it soon!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Siple, tasty n nutritios. Cnat get better can it :? :P

Unknown said...

Hmmm...

Lael Meidal said...

Kajal: Nope. At times that's just what is needed.

Dad: Elaborate, please? :)