Monday, September 8, 2008

A Rainy Evening

When it rains here my university campus turns into one giant pond. Water comes so infrequently that the ground doesn't know what to do with it, so it flows along the surface of the dirt and pools in every dip of sidewalk and road.

This means that on days like today, when low dark storm clouds move in, and I find myself halfway across campus, the best thing is to wait out the worst of the giant raindrops. Then I roll up my pants, take off my flip flops, and tiptoe through the cold water all the way home.

Today's pond rose above my ankles and splashed water up the back of my pants, making me feel like both a little kid in a giant puddle and like someone quite ready for fall to close in and soup days to begin. In fact, I would have come right home and put on some soup if I had been prepared for this urging, but when the daily high temperature is in the 90s, one does not stock the cupboards for such things.

So, I'll be patient for soup season to fully close in and then, surely, be enjoying it on a daily basis. For now, I'll keep enjoying the rain because despite the way it flattens my hair and ruins the hem of my jeans. I have a fondness for wet weather. Being from the Northwest, I just can't help it.

A good rain shower feels oh so cozy.

And, so, I apologize that I do not have a recipe for you tonight, but my studies are calling my name and those darn slow-roasted tomatoes were supposed to make up a (successful) post of their own. Instead, I give you one of my other loves. Apart from food, I do love rainy weather and have spent some time back home in Bellingham and here in Abilene capturing the world after it has received a generous drink of water from above.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lael- the moisture is watering our redwoods today. We've not had 'rain' for several months in No CA, but the fog rolls in periodically as its substitute. Makes one want to tuck into a corner with a good book ;) Hope you have time for the same.

Unknown said...

Oh my dear Lael, I miss you so and I love hearing how positive you are about the Abilene rain! I love you!

Kate

Lael Meidal said...

Dad: Thanks for the comment and sweet wishes. I miss the fog!

Kate: I miss you too! As far as the rain, if you can't beat it, join it, right? love you heaps.