Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Weekend by Weekend

I have one lament concerning Auckland. I acknowledge I was thoroughly spoiled by my last big-city experience. Three weeks in San Francisco somewhat raises one's standards of convenient local transportation and not only does Auckland lack this but it is so spread out in comparison to SF that walking is not nearly as much of a happy alternative.

So I'm covering this city inch by inch, weekend by weekend and that means I still have loads of ground to cover. Especially because when I say Auckland, I mean North Shore City/Auckland City. Just go with it.

Last weekend I got to explore new areas with a new friend and my feet loved the walk up Queen Street -- the mingling with the locals, the discovery of an orangey-red vintage purse on K. Road, the details on the old buildings, the worn signs on the new, the countless Asian discount shops, and the kumara chips (french fries) at Burger Fuel. (Yes, I have come to love a place with such an un-lovely name as Burger Fuel. But you would, too, if you tried their well-salted kumara chips with creamy, garlicy aioli.)

Details from the beautiful afternooon:

DSC_0089

DSC_0087

DSC_0115

6 comments:

Tres Jolie Studios said...

Such beautiful photographs!!!

Amelia said...

ahhhhh, Lael, that aioli! It has yet to be bettered. June this year saw myself and a fellow kiwi expat order three large serves of kumara chips between us. The guy behind the counter looked at us suspiciously, assuming we'd never finish. We did so with ease.

Unknown said...

It looks delicious.
The ice cream does, too. ;)

(I'm Caryn's sister and I blog-stalk you)

Andrea said...

OMG, your photos are so beautifully composed! I love them. I'm going to spend some time with your blog this afternoon on my break.

Lael Meidal said...

Megan: Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such sweet words. It's much appreciated from a blogger I enjoy so much as well!

Lael Meidal said...

Amelia: Great story! I confess that I go mainly for the kumara chips and order a burger just for the sake of variety in my diet...though their vege and chicken burgers are good, it's the chips and their aioli that hold my attention.

Amber: Thanks so much for coming out of hiding! :)

Andrea: Thank you! I'm so glad you enjoy what you see. That's the whole point of this blog.